Service over the years at Lingnan – inter alia:
- Academic Dean of Social Sciences (ex-officio member of the University Administrative Planning Committee, Academic Staff Review Committee, Academic Quality Assurance Committee, Research and Postgraduate Studies Committee)
- Head of Politics and Sociology
- Head of Sociology and Social Policy
- Member of Senate
- Chair of the Discontinuation Appeal Panel
- Member of the Academic Quality Advisory Committee (AQAC)
- AQAC Representative to the Community College
- Member of the Research and Postgraduate Studies Panel (Social Sciences)
- Member of the Program Management Group
- Member of the Sub-Group on Staff Development Grants
- Member of Social Science Program and Curriculum Committee
- Member of General Studies Program and Curriculum Committee
Current Professional Service
- Hong Kong Research Grants Council Member, 2012-
- Hong Kong Fulbright Advisory Committee Member, 2012-
- Member of HKUSPACE-University of Hull Accreditation Panel (Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications), May 2014
- President of the Research Committee of the History of Sociology, International Sociological Association, 2010 – July 2014
Journals; International Board Member (all current):
Selected international lectures and honors
- “Prestigious Fellowship in the Humanities and Social Sciences” (the prize, awarded by the Hong Kong Research Grants Council, is modeled on the Guggenheim), January 2014-December 2015.
- Raymond Aron Fellow, Institute for the Advancement of Social Sciences, Boston University, 2010 –
- Guest Speaker, Danish Institute of International Studies, Copenhagen, May 2013
- Guest Speaker, Ø stfold University College, Halden, May 2013
- Guest Speaker, Descartes Center, University of Utrecht, February 2012.
- Guest Speaker, Centre for Citizenship and Public Policy, University of Western Sydney,November 2010.
- Plenary Speaker, Conference on Multiculturalism and Global Community, National Archive of Iran, Tehran, July 2010.
- Author-Meets-Critics session at the International Sociological Association World Congress, Gothenburg, July 2010.
- Guest Professor, European College of Liberal Arts, Berlin, June 2010.
- Visiting Professor in Political Thought, IMT Institute of Advanced Studies, Lucca, May 2005/May 2006/May 2009/June 2010
- Visiting Professor in Political Science, American University of Afghanistan, Kabul, June/July 2008
- Address to the American University of Beirut, April 2008
- Visiting Professor of Political Science, Peking University, March 2005
- Keynote Speaker at the Max Weber Today symposium, University of British Columbia, November 4 2004
- The Baehr-Wells edition of Weber’s The Protestant Ethic and the ‘spirit’ of Capitalism, is nominated for the Wolff Translation Prize.
- Visiting Professor of Political Science, National University of Taiwan/Academic Sinica, Taipei, October 2004
- Visiting Professor of Political Sociology, Libera Università Internazionale degli Studi Sociale (LUISS), Rome, January 2004
- Hannah Arendt Memorial Lecture, University of Bremen, May 22, 2003
- Baehr’s book, Caesar and the Fading of the Roman World, is a “Choice” Outstanding Academic Book of the Year, 1998 (American Librarians’ Association award).